Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Nice Little Saturday

Today Kate, another volunteer, and I decided to go to the local Market in the next town, Tangere.  We walked down, it took about an hour.  We had to cross some sketchy bridge and up and down all these insane hills.  I still find it fascinating that these Tanzanian women can carry things on their heads going up and down a hill, impressive.  We got to the market and the first thing I see is a bunch of chickens for sale, some were dead, some were being hung by their feet..I didnt like it.  The market was very busy.  There was so much for sale, anything form clothes to food, to suitcases....you name it.  I went right for the fabric.  They have the most beautiful fabric and it is soooo cheap.  I got lots of different colors and did a pretty good job bartering.  I spent between 6,000 and 7,000 shilling on 2-3 yards of fabric, which is about $5-7!  Good stuff.  I am going to dress myself up in African wear and try to fit in.  I will attempt to carry something on my head before  I leave and I'm sure it will be a disaster.  There is a whole food section in the market.  Rows and rows of women selling their vegetables, rice, maize, and bananas.  They all want you to come and buy from them.  "Brother, sista Karibu (you are welcome to my store), you can look for free."  Did you know you can look at good for free, I love that line haha soo funny.    Everyone wants to say hi and hi-five you or shake you hand.  I had one man who would not let go for a bit and I was about to get feisty but I controlled myself...  Anyway, it was quite an experience in the market.  Clearly I bought too much fabric and I'm sure I will go back next week and buy more!
We walked back home, got good exercise and sunburned! Good morning.

Jeni, the volunteer coordinator really wanted to take us into  Arusha for a night out so a few of us went. Bella (Kayaa's bro)  Kenali (the driver)  Teacher Anthony, Kate, Jeni and I went out on the town.  We started at Empire Bar where East Side Movement, a reggae band was playing.  They were awesome!  I love groovin to reggae.  The Barcelona vs Man U match was on the tv as well and people were going nuts!  I just love how soccer is universal.   We headed over to Maasai Camp, a bar/club after.  There was a DJ and he played a lot of American music.  I felt like I was back home dancing to all the same music we listen to.  They love Rhianna over here, its so funny.  They played a lot of African music for a while and everyone did this line dance over and over again for like 20 min.  I couldnt get it so I danced in the middle of the room doing my own thing ha.  No one really bounces here so I had to alter my dancing a little bit to not stand out to much.  It was so much fun, I was taught how to African dance, which is grinding, but of course I did it from a distance.  It was so much fun though.  I tried lots of local beers and we danced till 3:30 in the morn.  Good times!  My legs were so soar by the end of the night but it was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment