Friday, August 17, 2012

HOPAC


The field where lots of kids play football



Admin Building

Back of Secondary classrooms

Football field and break field

1st -3rd grade wing

My classroom!!

My attempt at bulletin boards.  There are so many in the room.

My desk.  The little turquoise area with cheetah border is my little area!!

Welcome to First Grade!!

Birthdays and Word Wall Word board, i think..?!





Secondary Wing and they are building new classrooms that aren't ready yet...

4th and 5th wing



So we started new teacher training.  Len the director, ran the first portion of our sessions.  He has been involved with the school since it started.  It is really an interesting story how 4 missionaries who cam from different countries and had similar but different religious backgrounds, came up with the idea for HOPAC.  They saw a need that missionary families were having.  Many families wanted to stay in the field or wanted to come to the field but the lack of education for their children was a problem.  So that is where they got the idea for HOPAC.  God led the way from there and now they are the first accredited Christian school in Tanzania. Still with a lot of work to do. They kept saying that HOPAC has been so successful because they are all on the same page with God and having a biblical worldview within the school and curriculum was so beneficial. They are not just teaching subjects separately they are helping children develop starting from the inside.  They are teaching morals and how to LIVE for God on a daily basis.  It is not just math, reading, social studies, and science.  The new teachers are so wonderful as well.  I am the only new primary teacher.  The new teachers consist of people from the U.S., Canada, the Netherlands, and Tanzania.  I learned a lot about the do’s and don’t  of Tanzania culture.  For example, showing your legs above the knee is comparable to walking around topless in the States.  So no thigh showing for this girl.  Also, if a Tanzania sees you drinking they automatically assume that you are not a Christian and it may strain a relationship.  Even though that is clearly not true their is no convincing them.  It is like trying to convince me that murder is not wrong.  Many do drink here but it was just a warning in case you were at a Tanzanian’s home.  Also, here they value relationships more than time.  In the U.S.  I feel we are a slave to the clock and rush around.  When you talk with a Tanzanian it is polite and expected that you take time and ask them how they are doing and about their family and life. Otherwise, it can be seen as rude or disrespectful.  Tanzanians also do not show much emotion, especially if they are angry or upset.  It is rare you will see a Tanzanian loose their temper.  In addition, since there is a lot of corruption still here, we were advised on what to do when pulled over by the police.  Many teachers will refuse to pay the fine.  Some, almost challenge the police officer to write out a ticket and or take them to the station.  They advise not to pay the bribe.  If they write out the ticket or go to the station that means they have to report the money they take and they can’t just pocket it.  I do appreciate that fact that the staff is not supporting this and with their actions they are saying that they do not agree with the corruption and hope to help change it. 

I want to immerse myself as much as possible and learn the language as best as I can.  There is a new teacher Jane, who is Tanzanian, and she has been teaching me a little bit here and there.  She also offered for me to come over eat over and teach me some Swahili.  Hopefully I can learn a lot from her.  My teaching assistant taught Swahili as well, so I am praying I can pick it up easily. 

On Friday we had a wonderful staff retreat at one of the local hotels on the beach.  It was called Kunduchi Beach Hotel.   There is a water park and go karts!  Both I want to experience at some point.   The facilities are beautiful!  Everything is wide open so you get a fantastic breeze coming off of the Indian Ocean.  We had a big staff introduction.  Everyone had to make an acrostic poem using your name and telling a little bit about your self.    Mine was: Doesn’t like cockroaches, Awesome (God, HOPAC, being in Tanzania), Needs sunshine, Is into sewing bags, Excited to be in Tanzania and at HOPAC, Loves hugs, sunflowers, and purple, Likes to eat soft pretzels, Enjoys being active.  After, we had a Strategic Planning Meeting in the morning, followed by tea, obviously and then lunch.  At the end of our session we got our class list and we went off into groups to pray for the kids.  Not knowing any of them made this a little challenging but I had Stacey, the librarian and who has a son in my class, and Delecia, the Service Learning teacher, with me.  It was funny because every time they would start praying for one of my kids they would laugh or chuckle about the “unique” personalities they have.  I know I am going to love my class but it is just funny how everyone keeps commenting on how they all have the special, unique, interesting qualities. It shall be interesting!  After our HOPAC time was over I was dying to go for a swim in the Indian Ocean.  Sarah, my roommate, and her mom stayed and we went for a bit of a swim.  The water was perfect!!!  The Indian Ocean is so beautiful, a huge step up from Long Island Sound.  I was so excited I finally got to go swimming!  It made me super happy.  Went home on a Dali Dali, obviously it was packed to the point where people were hanging out of it.  TIA!!! (MAX) 




On the walk back up the hill I stopped at Marilyn and Len’s home.  Len is the director of HOPAC.  They had a dresser for me so I went to scope it out.  Marilyn lined the bottom with super fun colorful paper.  So awesome!   Now my room will not be as empty.  We chatted for a while, drank tea, ate homemade apple pie and ice cream, while looking at the Indian Ocean.   I am so spoiled!  GIG (God is Good).

No comments:

Post a Comment